Whether it is to quit smoking, get more exercise or eat healthy. Many of us think of and treat our pets as part of their family – so it would make perfect sense to have a wellness plan for your pets. Here are five keys to ensuring the health of your pet.
There are many ways to keep your pet healthy, but to start you out – we have identified five areas that will help your beloved pet to live a long and happy life.
- Dental health. Dental disease is one of the most common problems found in pets. Your pet should have its teeth cleaned as advised by your veterinarian. When dental health is not addressed – it can lead to serious infections and the loss of teeth. Diseased teeth can also lead to other problems such as kidney and heart disease.
- Regular examinations. Remember – pets age faster than their humans. Just as you and your family members have regular physical exams, so should your pet. When illnesses are diagnosed early on – treatment will be less invasive as well as less expensive.
- Preventative healthcare. One of the most important responsibilities that come with being a pet owner is to provide preventative care for your animal. Vaccines given on a regular basis will help to keep your pet from contracting diseases from other animals, insects and from their surroundings. Your veterinarian will give you information on fecal testing and deworming as well as keeping your pet’s immunizations up-to-date.
- Healthy diet. Just as you are health-minded when it comes to your own diet – you should make sure that your pet is getting the nutrients he or she needs to stay healthy. No matter what type of pet you have – a healthy diet will lead to a healthy and happy pet. One of the most important things to keep your pet’s health at its optimum is to make sure they get plenty of water. They should have access to clean water at all times.
Your veterinarian will advise you what type of food is best for your particular pet – taking into consideration weight, age and mobility.
- Exercise. We all need exercise – and so does your pet. Physical and mental activity is important in order for your pet to stay alert and healthy. This is especially true if your pet is a dog. A dog needs to experience the smells, sights and sounds beyond their home or confines of your yard. Exercise for any type of pet is important to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is a common health problem for many types of pets.
The best for our pets
We all want the best for our pets, and sometimes it can be costly. Your trusted veterinarian knows this and will find the most cost-effective way in which to offer services and advice to you for your pet. Your pet’s life will be extended when you provide the proper loving care that he or she needs and deserves.